A Question for Vic:
Kenneth Kaari wrote this comment on my What to Do When Your Facebook Account is Stolen blog: “My sister’s Facebook account was stolen. I have seen the steps [in the blog] but they aren’t helpful because the hacker took over the administration [of the account] meaning he also changed the primary activity, so any activity that happens on Facebook goes to his account!”
Thanks for the comment, Kenneth. Facebook has a new procedure you can use to retrieve the account:
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/hacked.
- Click on the My Account Is Compromised button.
- Enter one of the specified information in one of the fields of the Identify Your Account box like the one shown below:
- Of these fields, the second and third options are the best bet because there is a better chance the hacker has not changed this information compared to the fist field.
- Click the Search button.
- Facebook will find the account then ask if it is the one you are looking for. If it is click on the This Is My Account button. If not, click on the None of these are me. Try again Button.
- If you found your account, Facebook will walk your though a series of steps to retrieve your account.
Got a security question? Ask Vic
I work for Trend Micro and all opinions expressed here are my own.