Not only is it important to protect your computer, it is also important to have it running smoothly. Sometimes it feels like I have too many files on my machine. So many that I worry that files are almost taking it over! You’ll be happy to hear that Trend Micro™ Titanium™ Security has a feature you can use to tidy things up a bit. It’s called System Tuner and is offered in both the Internet Security and Maximum Security versions of Titanium.
System Tuner is a tool that optimizes your computer’s performance. Besides making Microsoft Windows® start up quicker, it also cleans out your computers instant message history and recovers disk space.
Here’s how to do a System Tuner full run:
- Select Tools
- Select System Tuner
- A screen will pop up with information around the System Tuner and then you can select OK.
- Another screen will show that asks you what you would like to “tune.”
Your choices for optimization are:
- Disk space – this feature checks for space in your computers recycle bin, temporary folders and other locations
- Start up programs – can help prevent start up issues and also eliminate some applications from starting automatically
- System registry – remove unused, broken, or invalid registry entries
- Internet privacy – deletes website cookies and browser history files to protect your privacy online
- Software histories – cleans the records of recently browsed files to prevent spyware from collecting information about you
- Instant messaging privacy – removes details of chat logs, files downloaded, and other instant message records to prevent spyware from collecting more information about you
One thing that really bugs me is when my Skype account starts up automatically when I turn on my computer. By using System Tuner, I was able to remove Skype from my start up applications.
If you want to disable a start up program, select Start up programs.
A box will pop up asking you to confirm that you understand some programs are necessary for start up. You should only eliminate those from start up that you know will not affect your computer’s performance.
To confirm, select OK and a screen will pop up listing your start up programs. This is where you would check a box for the program you did not want to start up automatically. Then select OK.
After you remove the program, it will no longer show up in your console. In this case, I have already removed Skype.
After I ran System Tuner for 4 out of 5 options, I learned just how much room I gained on my machine. I recovered 193 MB of space! (See! I told you I had too many files.)
System Tuner can be used differently by each individual. I was pretty pleased with the results. I think you will be too.
I work for Trend Micro and all opinions expressed here are my own.