A list of IT-related online magazines (e-zines) belonging to one online publishing group were found to be hosting malicious IFRAMEs. Security Researcher Dancho Danchev shared this discovery with the rest of the security community. Some of the e-zines hosting malicious IFRAMEs are:
- webweekmag.com – Web Week Magazine
- itweekmagazine.com – IT Week Magazine
- technologyweekmag.com – Technology Week Magazine
- theinternetstandardmag.com – The Internet Standard
- securitystandardmag.com – Security Standard
Danchev notes that there are a total of 24 e-zines, all of which are owned by Possibility Media, that have malicious IFRAMEs embedded in them. Trend Micro threat analyst Jonell Baltazar checked some of the e-zines’ URLs and was able to obtain different binary files that are detected by Trend Micro products as PAK_GENERIC and POSSIBLE_STRAT-6. Other files are now under analysis.
Even Google (via StopBadware.org) tags Possibility Media’s Web site as harmful: