U.S. President candidate John McCain plans to impeach president elect Barack Obama, at least according to the latest post-election spam spotted today. Here’s a screenshot of the sample email message:
Figure 1. Politically-tinged spam email just keeps coming
Our researchers have seen the following subject lines containing the same text as the above:
- Barack Obama in Danger – McCain will fight for the president post
- McCain Lawmakers Impeach Obama
- The impeachment of new president Obama
- Barack Obama can lost President’s Chair.
- POLITICAL STRIKE TIES
- McCain Lawyers Want to Stop Obama
This is to rouse the curiosity of users into clicking the link that connects to several malicious Web sites. When users access the sites, a bogus US government official website is displayed. It presents a fake video (actually an image) and tricks the user into downloading a fake Adobe Player installer from a URL ending in AdobePlayer9.exe. Trend Micro detects this file as TROJ_PACKED.JFP. It drops and executes TROJ_ROOTKIT.FX. Smart Protection Network also blocks users from accessing the malicious links in the spam, the fake video, and the URL from which the executable is downloaded.
Election-related spam in the last week:
- U.S. Presidency Race Ends, New Spam Run Begins
- More Google Searches Resulting in Rogue AV
- Post-Election Spam Leads to Fake Pharma
- Obama Malware Spam Targets Latin America
Share this article