Good communication in a family is essential and one way I encourage it is to make sure my wife and I share key mobile data, such as our smartphone contact lists. Alignment between work and home is critical, especially now that we‘re expecting our first child and need to share our medical contacts.
Until now, it’s been simple to keep aligned because we both had Android phones, synced over Google; but recently she bought a new iPhone, so I had to look for a way to sync our contacts between Android and iOS. Happily, a quick fix was staring me in the face. Since I already used Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android with Mobile Backup & Restore (MBR) on my Android device, all I had to do was install its new sibling, Trend Micro Mobile Security for iOS (which supports contacts backup and restore) onto her iPhone. I then simply backed up our Android contacts and restored them to the iPhone.
1. Users of Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android need to have the MBR plugin installed, so if you don’t have it already, you first need to head over to the Google Play Store, search for Trend Micro’s Mobile Backup & Restore, and install it.
2. After it’s installed, tap Open.
Mobile Backup & Restore | Google Play
3. After you agree to the License Agreement, a Sign In page appears, where you can also create a Trend Micro account. (For new account creation, a valid email address is required.) Since I already had an account, I just signed in.
4. A demo screen appears, showing the description of each tab of the tool. Tap Start to continue to the MBR Console.
Mobile Backup & Restore Sign In
Mobile Backup & Restore Demo
5. The Backup page appears, showing the status of your backup history.
6. Tap Back Up Now. A page appears, scanning items for backup and letting you choose among them. In this case, I chose to back up my 281 contacts.
7. I then tapped Start Backup to start the process.
Choose Items to Back Up
Mobile Backup & Restore uploads the contacts from my Android smartphone to the backup server, telling me when it’s done. (Note that next time you do a backup, the tool uploads only what’s changed and adds them to your current backup.)
Now that I have a backup of my Android phone contacts, it’s time to restore them to my wife’s iPhone.
8. To restore contacts to your iOS device, of course you first need to go to the Apple App Store, search for Trend Micro Mobile Security, and install it. (Before you install it, you may have to sign in to the iTunes Store with your Apple ID, if you’re not already signed in).
9. Once installed, tap Open. A popup appears, notifying you that Mobile Security would like to send you Push notifications. Tap OK. Two pages then appear, explaining the advantages of activating Trend Micro Mobile Security and the benefits of its SafeSurfing browser.
10. Tap Next and Done to continue.
Mobile Security Demo 1
Mobile Security Demo 2
11. When the License Agreement appears, accept it, and a demo page appears, describing aspects of the UI.
12. Tap anywhere to continue, and when SafeSurfing appears, tap the upper left section to continue to the Mobile Security Console.
Actions | Safety Demo
13. When the Console appears, tap Set up Trend Micro account to get complete protection. The Set Up Account screen appears.
Set Up Trend Micro Account
14. Tap Set Up Account, then Sign In to the same Trend Micro account you used for Mobile Security for Android to activate the iPhone application. This will give you access to your Android backup.
Set Up Account
15. In the main page, tap Backup & Restore, then OK to grant access to your contacts.
Backup & Restore
Access Your Contacts
16. In the Backup & Restore page, tap Restore Contacts, then tap the contacts that you want to restore to your iOS device.
Select a Backup
17. When the Restore Contacts popup appears, tap Restore to start the restoration process.
18. A screen appears, showing the progress of the Restore.
Restore Contacts Popup
Restoring Contacts | Progress
19. When it’s done, a popup appears, saying Contacts Restore Complete.
Contacts Restore Complete
That’s it! Now my Android contacts have been transferred to my wife’s iPhone. Since it’s good to keep regular backups of the contacts as they’re added or deleted (for future syncing with me and my wife), I automate the backup on both devices.
20. On Mobile Security for iOS, tap Settings, scroll down the screen to the Backup & Restore section.
21. Turn on Regular Backup by tapping the slider to the right.
22. In Mobile Backup & Restore on the Android device, go to the main page in the Console and tap the Automatic Backup tab. The Automatic Backup Settings page appears, where you can set a schedule to back up your data.
23. Mine is set to back up my contacts, calendar and call and text history every day. Take note of additional options when activating automatic back up:
24. If I choose more than contacts to back up on my Android, the iPhone just restores the Contacts of any Android backup.
Automatic Backup Tab
Automatic Backup Settings
Trend Micro’s Mobile Backup & Restore, alone or inside Trend Micro Mobile Security, makes it easy to transfer your Android contacts to your iOS device. Though we haven’t gone into it, you can also perform this process in reverse when you share the same Trend Micro account. Simply back up the contacts on the iPhone, then restore them to your Android smartphone.
Trend Micro’s Mobile Backup & Restore is free with 50 MB online storage and with an annual fee of $19.99 for a 5 GB storage space.
I’m an engineer for Trend Micro’s Technical Product Marketing team for Consumers and the opinions expressed here are my own.
Here is a summary of the Backup & Restore process: