Trend Micro today announced a new global Partner Program that leverages and extends its current award-winning program in North America, along with key elements of its other regional partner programs, to all of its partners worldwide.
Partha Panda, VP of global channels and strategic alliances, explains the benefits and features of the new program.
How does the new Partner Program benefit partners?
The new Partner Program is designed to further enhance the productivity and profitability of channel partners by enabling them to more quickly and fully capitalize on the growing market for Trend Micro security solutions. In addition to selling standalone Trend Micro security solutions, this includes the opportunity to bundle Trend Micro security solutions with other solutions they may already be selling such as:
- Virtualization and cloud solutions from VMware, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft and Citrix
- Converged or integrated infrastructure solutions from Cisco, EMC, IBM, HP, NetApp, VCE and others
- Complementary security solutions from HP, IBM and others
- Microsoft solutions such as Sharepoint, Exchange and Office 365
What are the main components of the new program?
The key attributes of the new partner program include:
How does categorization work under the new Partner Program?
Trend Micro has defined discrete partner types (distributors, resellers, national resellers, systems integrators, service providers and referral partners), and further segmented its partners based on their core expertise, including security, infrastructure. Then, through its sales and marketing tools and incentive programs, it has created clearer and stronger alignment between these partner segments, customers, and Trend Micro solutions.
What are the key elements of the new partner program?
Trend Micro now offers a discrete and competitive Partner Program for (each of) distributors, resellers, national resellers, systems integrators, service providers, and referral partners. The benefits and requirements of each of these levels have been enhanced and aligned globally. For select partner types and levels, the requirements include minimum revenue commitments.
- Referral Partners: The program, which currently includes SMB Affiliates (SMB organizations that direct their web visitors to trendmicro.com to purchase products), is being extended to include trusted advisors such as consultants and “born in the cloud” technology partners that have established relationships with customers. The Partner Program for trusted advisors rewards these individuals and companies that refer business opportunities to Trend Micro, but rely on other channel partners to complete the sale.
- Reseller Levels: The Trend Micro Partner Program for resellers has been standardized on Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels. Platinum status, which recognizes our most productive partners and rewards them with a customized program, is by invitation only.
- Reseller Specializations: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum resellers in all regions can now choose to specialize in one of four complementary areas – Small Business Security, Complete User Protection, Cloud & Data Center, and Custom Defense. By specializing, resellers can earn an extra bonus on every sale made of solutions related to that specialization. Specializations are earned by meeting a combination of sales training and technical certification requirements.
- Upfront Discounts: Upfront discounts have been standardized globally, and in most regions this translates to substantial increases
- Deal Registration: Deal registration has now been extended to Bronze resellers that have achieved one or more specializations. This provides them with additional margin not previously available.
- Deal Protection:Recognizing the importance of each phase of a sale, Trend Micro is introducing deal protection to compensate Gold and Platinum level resellers that aren’t selected by the customer to close the sale, despite their hard work in identifying and registering the opportunity, and their value-added selling efforts.
- Incentive Programs: A broad range of incentive programs are being introduced to help channel partners focus and capitalize on the demand for solutions addressing specific business opportunities, including the small business and mid-market segments, as well as for complete user protection, cloud and data center security, and custom defense.
What does the program offer in terms of training & certification?
The education program has been simplified and aligned with industry standards (February 2014). Two levels of training (sales and technical sales) and two levels of certification (professional and expert) are now available through a new Education portal. The new education program helps shorten and accelerate the partner enablement process, and further ensures that partners are equipped with the knowledge and skills required to address business opportunities, and to further satisfy customers.
Where do I go to access sales & marketing tools and other support?
A new set of globally consistent communication tools encompassing partner recruitment through enablement has been developed and is being expanded to more consistently include the demand generation phase.
- Partner Portal: Partners have online access today to a comprehensive set of sales and marketing tools, through the partner portal and Sales Hub that have recently been refreshed. A new partner portal is being developed that will provide partners with quick and valuable visibility into their Trend Micro business and growth opportunities, and more convenient access to enhanced features and functionality, including deal registration, content syndication, social media and support.
- Global Partner Summit: Trend Micro is hosting its first ever global partner summit, October 21-23, in Las Vegas. This by-invitation event is for business leaders and sales executives of Trend Micro’s top distributors, systems integrators, and platinum and gold level resellers.
How will Trend Micro channel account management change under the new program?
Trend Micro channel account managers have been provided with common tools, standards, processes and guidelines for more effectively managing partner relationships. By working more closely with partners to develop their growth plans, and by providing partners with greater visibility of key metrics, Trend Micro is further helping ensure partners capitalize on the expanding business opportunities.
When will the new Partner Program become available?
Many elements of the new Trend Micro Partner Program have been in place in the U.S. and Canada since 2013. Enhancements to these elements, along with additional program features, including specializations and deal protection, and a new partner portal, are being rolled out in 2014 and will be completed in Q1-2015.
For partners in EMEA, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Australia/New Zealand, roll-out of the new Trend Micro Partner Program began in February 2014 (Education program), continues in July 2014, and will be completed in Q1-2015.
For partners in Japan and China, key elements of the Partner Program will be assessed beginning in 2015.